Quick Notes:
Weather: Sunny and warm
First day of work
McDonald’s for lunch
International (US) food store
Checked out new stores and parks
First flat tire

Well, today was my first day of work at AIST. This morning Chihiro met Seth and I at the Ninomiya house to make sure we could find our way to the office. The ride to work is really nice and only about 15 minuets. First we ride down a small street for about a mile then another mile along/through a park to the entrance of AIST East.

DSC05390.rOajgLWFn35X.a1q8y2GdjgNA.jpg
Bridge Crossing East Street

AIST.qPMLQbsG0CUv.CSviGu82Q3Ll.jpg
Map of My Bike Ride to Work.


The morning was pretty relaxing we just sat and talked with Sagawa-san and Iki-san. Iki-san is the group leader, and Sagawa-san is kind of a project leader. Also a side note the “san” on their names is like saying “Mr.” For lunch Sagawa-san took us to McDonald’s so we good get an “American” hamburger. Like everything so far in Japan the McDonald’s was really clean and all of the employees are working extremely fast to get the food out. I tried to order a quarter pounder but got a double instead (lost in translation) but no big deal. I also order the large meal because I have heard before that their proportions are much smaller, and it was true. My large drink (the biggest they sell) was the size of the small in the US, 16/20oz. The large fries were about the size of the medium in the US, but the hamburger seemed to be the same size. It was really good and I don’t remember it being that good back home, or just maybe I haven’t been there in a while. The price of the meal was 700Y so a little more expensive but not too bad.

After lunch Sagawa-san took us to an international food store that sold a number of American items. They had some salsas, tortilla chips, Dr. Peppers, canned beans/chili, Campbell’s soup, and a number of other things. I’ll be going back soon. He then took us to a couple more shops in the area that will be helpful, another market and a drug store. The drug stores here are like a small Target or something. They have all the bath, kitchen and home supplies you need.

Once done shopping we headed back to the office. Seth and I just hung out for a little while until 3:00pm which is Tea Time in the office. At that time the people in the office (usually about six people) break and sit at the large table and drink tea and converse. It was a nice break and fun to talk with the other people in the office. Most of them can speak english but you really have to listen closely.

We left work about 4:00 and on our ride home we stopped at a few stores to check them out. We found a couple of clothing stores, restaurants, a coffee shop and even a small car dealer with a new bright green Lamborghini in the show room. On our ride bike we also found a couple of more parks in the area, and there is actually one right behind our house. The Ninomiya house is in the background and Seth is on top of the climbing pole. Not sure how this pole is safe for kids to climb on, I guess it is for Ninja training. I also got my first flat tire on my bike today after jumping this gap in the road that Seth said I couldn’t. It’s pretty much Seth’s fault cause he said “I bet you can’t jump that gap,” so of course I had to. I fixed it that night and it was good to go for the next day.

DSC05395.P6NZzUn4JVc5.yqNyRMhUnsST.jpg
Imamiya Park

Comments (0)